Bereavement support

​Help and support through a bereavement is available across the county.

The following organisations have a keen awareness of the Armed Forces community. They can help support you through all aspects of a bereavement: emotional, clinical and practical.

Army Widows' Association

The Army Widows' Association works closely with the Ministry of Defence but is an independent charity set up to support bereaved widows and their families. It offers comfort and friendship to widows in need of support.

Margeret Rennie talks about how the Army Widows' Association supports those suffering from a bereavement:



RAF Widows' Association

The RAF Widows' Association is a national charity for those who lost their spouse or partner while serving in the RAF at the time of their death, or who died within two years of leaving the RAF. It runs a number of events and gives emotional and financial advice.

Royal Navy and Marines Widows' Association

The Royal Navy and Marines Widows' Association offers friendship, support, guidance and comfort to those who are experiencing bereavement through the loss of their spouse who served in the Royal Navy or Marines.

Cruse Bereavement Care

Cruse Bereavement Care is a national charity that provides face-to-face, online and telephone support. It is the leading charity for bereavement support and has a good understanding of how a bereavement within the military community can present unique challenges.


The leading forces family charity, SSAFA offers support and advice during a bereavement. Its volunteers can be a listening ear when coming to terms with loss, as well as exploring financial support with you.

Forces Support

General maintenance jobs in the home and garden can be taken care of for those military families suffering a bereavement. They can create peaceful outside areas, makeover children's play areas or bedrooms, plus other services.

Armed Forces Bereavement Scholarship Scheme (AFBSS)

Bereaved service children can apply for further education financial support or a university scholarship.